Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Liechtenstein

    August 24, 2023 in Liechtenstein ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    From Switzerland it’s on to one of the least visited countries in Europe- Lichtenstein. The whole country is only 12km wide and 25km long. It’s ‘doubly landlocked’ by two landlocked countries, Switzerland and Austria and so they speak mainly German.
    I only have time to see its capital Vaduz which is a bit of a shame as apparently the tiny little country has some beautiful countryside, stunning mountains, and fairytale castles within its borders. Unfortunately, Vaduz itself feels a little bland and a little dated but it’s nice to see somewhere different.

    Lichtenstein is one of the world’s richest countries… however 50% of its GPD comes from its only resident billionaire, Christoph Zeller who sells dental products. It’s a masterclass in how easily statistics can be skewed. The success of Zeller’s company not only propelled him to his billionaire status but also makes the tiny country the world’s biggest manufacturer of false teeth.

    I take a wander round, find the obligatory passport stamp, walk through its main streets and stop for a while outside its parliament building, which is a rather grand old building. Women only got the right to vote here in 1984 making it the last country in Europe to grant women the vote. The blue and red flag flutters in the breeze outside parliament and I’m reminded that Lichtenstein’s national anthem follows the same tune as God Save the Queen. With a quick wander around Vaduz complete, it’s onward to Belgium for my next stop.
    Read more