Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Thursday, April 19

    April 19, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    The drive from Anastasia to Hunting Island goes well. We travel through miles of "low country" to arrive here. Lots of salt water marshes, big bridges, little bridges. Beautiful country.

    It is hot and humid here today. 29 degrees Celsius, feels like 33!

    SITE 186 -HUNTING ISLAND STATE PARK! Do NOT take it again. It is hilly and strangely set up - hard to figure out where to put the camper. We ask to change sites, but are told the park is fully booked tonight. We return to 186, move the fire pit and level the camper with 4 blocks in the back and 1 in the front on the passenger side. It is hot work. Tony relaxes after with a beer and a book. I stay in the camper with all the windows closed and the air conditioner on! I need to chill!

    This park was hit by Tropical Storm Irma last year and Hurricane Matthew the year before. Many oceanfront sites were wiped out and won't be rebuilt. Others have been restored but have no shade. The sand dunes were completely obliterated by Matthew, so when Irma arrived, more trees were blown down, and the entire area was flooded. The camp store was damaged, washrooms had to be rebuilt, and roads were washed away. They have spent the last 2 years rebuilding and there is still lots to do. The park was closed for several months.

    Our site is further back, and we do have trees and shade, but I'm a little nervous about these tall old trees. It's breezy!

    After dinner, we ride our bikes on the beach, which is wide, flat, hard-packed sand. It is warm and there is a light breeze. It is a beautiful hour and a half long ride. We stop at the camp store on the way back. It's nicely set up with souvenirs and everything a camper might need.
    Read more