Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    End of Wales Coast path

    June 3, 2023 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Saturday: 06:15 driven from my tent by sunshine making it too hot to stay in. Only 3 miles to the end of the Wales Coast path in Chepstow, so decided to breakfast there instead of on the campsite. Packed up and on my way by 07:40.

    Cows in first field out of Innage Farm so took a long detour away from them. Avoided a Teresa May misdemeanour of 'walking through a field of wheat'. Then around an industrial estate that is off M48 junction 2. Grounds around it were nicely kept.

    In the tunnel under the M48 motorway, a 'Park run' was assembling. Chatted with a couple of competitors who had come a long way from Portsmouth and Devon. Apparently, this run was particularly special because it spanned two countries, three counties and ran over the original Severn bridge.

    After a few residential roads, the path entered woodland with great views from high above the river Wye. Then through the delightful garden village of Hardwick, built for workers in the shipyard that operated in the early twentieth century.

    Finally, after a few streets near Chepstow town centre, I arrived at the end of the Wales Coast path on 'The back' beside the river Wye near the original road bridge over the Wye. It is commemorated by plaque, sculptures and information board. I missed the welcoming committee thay wasn't there and was tempted to shout a whoop of 'I've made it', but in true British stiff upper lip, I just took a few photographs.
    Read more