Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 7

    Day 7 Rest day around Tintern

    4. kesäkuuta 2023, Wales ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    As this is a Sunday I made it my rest day. Walked down to Tintern, to cross the Wye on the bridge restored only the weekend before. Walked around the loop in the river upstream to attend the morning service at St.Michaels Church in Wales (CinW) church. Trinity Sunday sermon given by retired minister who in the past had been vicar of the church. In conversation afterwards, I learned that at the formation of the Church in Wales, in the early 20th century under David Lloyd George's government, churches on the border could elect to remain Church of England or be part of the new Church of Wales. Apparently the next church upstream is one that elected to remain CofE.

    Creating CinW involved creating a new diocese (Monmouth), which required a new Cathedral. Apparently restoring Tintern Abbey was considered, but in the end a large church in Newport became the Cathedral.

    Continued upstream on the Wye valley walk to cross the Brockweir bridge to the village of Brockweir. Saw a pub under restoration to as it was hundreds of years ago and a Moravian church.

    Back across the bridge, returned suth/diwnstream on the track of the old railway, a little further from the river than the Wye ally walk. Passed a few sculptures on way to Tintern Station. Station has been restored and includes a tea room where I lunched and visited the museum. This told fascinating story of a formerly very industrial Wye valley. Initially served by river boats, latterly by the railway.

    Strolled further downstream to Tintern visiting the few shops, hostelries and cafés for Ice cream. Finally walked to the Brockweir Moravian Church for the evening service before returning to campsite.

    Amazed to see only 11 pitches where there were about 40 this morning. Dramatic effect of the end of half term holiday.

    Long chat with friendly wardens Paul and Donna. Paul thought I looked younger than I am. I was forced to agree with him!

    6 miles from Beeches Farm to Tintern and back completed at end of 7 day of walking. Despite it being a rest day!
    Total miles so far : 73.5
    Weather sunshine, glorious and very hot
    Number of people passed : Hundreds
    Lue lisää