Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    End of day 8 Redbrook to Monmouth

    June 5, 2023 in Wales ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Mile long climb up to the Naval Temple at Kymin was next. Thought to be the country's only monument to Brittania's Naval victories. Then down into Monmouth, walk along the high street and over the Monnow bridge. My campsite, Monnow Bridge Caravan Park, was just a few yards further, between houses.

    Like a Tardis it opened up to a large field beside the Monnow river separated from it by a sizable flood defence wall. A picked a spot by the flood defence wall because it had a picnic bench. Not carrying a chair or a table these are very useful when I come across them. A few midges because I was beside the river, but my insect netting kept them out of the tent. Toilet and showers basic but functional, basins a good size and all inside. Washing up area under rudimentary cover. Friendly host Mary also charged my device. £10 + £1 for 6 minute shower so good value.

    After pitching my brother and sister-in-law Martin and Bobby arrived and kindly took me out for the evening. It was smashing seeing friendly faces after a week 'in the wilderness'.

    12 miles from Beeches farm to Monmouth completed at end of 8th day of walking around Wales and 2nd day on Offa's Dyke path.
    Total miles so far : 85.5
    Weather sunshine and glorious.
    Number of people passed : About 6
    Read more