Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Daytrip Escape: Valparaiso/Vina del Mar

    February 20, 2018 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Having seen the photos of colorful houses from travellers past, I knew when planning this trip that Valparaiso was a must. But how many days and how would it work with the schedule? People have recommended 2 days - 2 days I didn't really have, and thus, it was a day tour through Viator for me. That said, if you had the time, you could likely make this trip on your own by bus or car.

    Our small group of travellers was rounded up for the 1-2 hour drive to the Chilean coast, and what a difference in temperature. We arrived in Vina del Mar first, making some quick stops at the Moai statue, the beach and the flower clock. Despite the quick stops, we weren't rushed at all for photos and even had some time to ocean-watch by the water. The area has a very relaxed, but still upscale vibe that one could easily spend a half or full day.

    Back in the van, it was off to Valparaiso. I found it a bit of a small bustling city. It's old with colorful hills, dotted by houses. While the city streets by the water is worth a wander, it was into the hills that we wanted to go, exploring street after street of not only colorful houses but cool street art that commands your attention. Some streets are named after European countries.

    For lunch, we stopped at one of the restaurants in the hills that sported a sweeping panoramic view of the city below. There are so many more examples of art I wish I could share (they have a photo limit here! unless you became a premium member).

    En route back to Santiago, it was a pit stop at the Indomita Winery for a sampling of wine from the Casablanca Valley. A bit fancy but also boasts a great view all around. The Chilean wine of this region to try is the Camenere. My favorite part though? Picking a few Merlot grapes off the vine, now that's fresh =)

    Our tour only scratched the surface of this getaway from Santiago, there's still more to be seen and discovered next time I'm back.
    Read more