Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Journey to the End of the Earth

    February 27, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 7 °C

    So it begins, we grab our bags and head to AEP for our domestic flight to El Calafate, where we'll then catch a private transfer to the town of El Chalten, our home for the next 2 nights. What I really like about AEP is its location right on the bank of the Rio de la Plata. Definitely getting a bit of a European feel here and loving the view.

    Our check in was a bit eventful as a number of airport employees were gathered for a manifest (not a protest) about wages and other terms. It was an interesting situation to witness and reminded me of the teachers' strike last year in Peru, though this time there was drums and chanting. It was all peaceful though and we were able to check in and board on time.

    Stepping out of El Calafate airport, we truly had left the summertime temperatures behind for the next two weeks. The Patagonia winds were blowing, but not much. It would be a 3 hour drive with a rest break in the middle. I used to be able to stay awake for entire drives, but the last few years I've struggled to, and this was a drive I really wanted to stay awake for as the Patagonian landscape rolled out next to us. Small hills, plains, lakes, it really is very beautiful scenery.

    The second half of the drive was especially mesmerizing as Fitz Roy and its surrounding mountains was straight ahead, like a beacon calling to us. We took numerous photos of it, taking turns standing at the front of our moving van. We would have photo stops, but sometimes you can't just wait you know?

    Once in town, we dropped off our bags at the hotel and headed out to make preparations for the next day's hike to Fitz Roy, renting poles, ordering box lunches and then dinner. Tomorrow, we trek!
    Read more