Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    A Day on the Nile

    January 17, 2019 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    This morning we awoke early and got some exercise in playing "piggy in the middle" with some local kids. The ball was a bit flat, but the joy of playing and the smiles on their faces really reminded us that the best things in life are very simple.

    Breakfast was delicious, falafels, pitas, eggs and french fries! And the we were back on our felucca. It was a windy and thus cold feeling day, but we didn't get far in our boat. Why? The wind was blowing the wrong way, and if the sails were up, we would've been back in Aswan. So we bobbed in the Nile, as fast or as slow as the current could carry us. We probably turned more in circles than we travelled downriver.

    The weather did get warmer for another hang out on the roof of the felucca, We'd hoped the weather would stay warm for the night since we'd be sleeping on board "under the stars". Not much luck there, but the crew wrapped cloth around the outside so it did cut some of the wind and the night wasn't too bad (though some people would probably disagree with me).

    I'd hoped to do some writing while we sailed, but alas, my brain wasn't in it. The trip is still young though and I'm still determined to get a few pages in.
    Read more