Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    The Trek to Masada

    February 6, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Back into Israel today, but first 2 quick stops in Jericho: the tree that Zaccharias climbed to see Jesus when he was preaching and a view of the Mount of Temptation where Jesus spent 40 days and nights fasting while the devil tried to tempt him. The tree certainly looks old, and is situated in an area currently in the Russian part of the city.

    Our main site of this morning is the Fortress of Masada which was the last Jewish strong hold in the Judean Desert against the Romans in the 1st century CE. The story has it that after the Romans finally broke through, the Jews decided to commit mass suicide rather than be enslaved, but there is currently no proof to support that theory.

    There are 2 ways up to the fortress, one by cable car and the other to hike (I think there are 2 paths by the way). We were told it was an easy stroll, but I assure you, The Snake Path is not that at all, but rather a steady climb to the top, partly with steps and partly slopes. In the summer, when it is really hot, people are actually not allowed to climb it. But climb it we did, and the temperature was pleasant, and then had about 90 minutes still to explore the main half of the fortress.

    You can easily guide yourself with the brochure they provide, as there really is only one path. From commander quarters to storerooms to the palace carved into the rock face, it really is something to explore. In the distance, you can also see Jordan as well as the Dead Sea.

    Shoppers note: in the visitor's centre, there's an Ahava store. We were given a discount and free gift with purchase voucher. Keep in mind, if you don't spend at least 400 NIS and claim the VAT refund at the airport, you're probably better off to hold off til you go to a regular store in town. One of the best deals our group experienced was in Jaffa where you get 1 product free for every 2 you buy. At the airport when I left, it was buy 3 get 1 free. Some places limit the deal to kits.
    Read more