Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Beysehir to Antalya

    February 22, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 8 °C

    Off to Antalya today! But first, a stop at the wooden mosque (Esrefoglu). The wooden columns are made of cedar and there's a pit in the middle to collect snow in the winter to help dampen the columns in the summer. It's quite beautiful in there and we had the place to ourselves. Originally, our CEO's friend was the imam at the mosque, so we were looking forward to a call to prayer inside to hear he acoustics and learn more about the religion. Alas, he no longer works there though.

    Back on the road, we drove through the stunning Taurus Mountains, their tops still covered by snow. A very beautiful drive that I ended up staying awake for much of it. We stopped by a road side restaurant to try their specialty: bean salad (well, I didn't) but it sounds like it's an acquired taste that most of our group did not end up being fans of.

    After checking into our hotel, we had time to simply wander. That sounds like the main plan for the old city - get lost, it's ok. Roommate and I first sought out a frappuccino at Starbucks before making our way to the Mediterranean coast and back into the old town. Our guide took us on a brief orientation walk that was dampened by rain, and then we walked some more on our own.

    Dinner was seafood, we are on the coast after all! I had tasty shrimp shishkabob while others went with calamari. Headed out to a bar after with a few folks to take in a live Turkish band. Quite fun, we got in just before the rain and out before smokers and big partiers descended.
    Read more