Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Thimphu the capital

    June 13, 2023 in Bhutan ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    We took a city tour to visit a few of the sights, beginning with the zoo to see the takin which is the national animal. It’s a cross between a goat and an antelope. It’s less a zoo though and more of a rehabilitation centre so eventually release the takin.

    Next stop, Buddha Point where a 51m sitting Buddha can be seen kilometres across Thimphu. Once complete this will be the tallest sitting Buddha.

    National Memorial Chhorten next. This is a beautiful stupa where lots of elderly people visit and worship. We joined the circle to make the rounds for positive energy. The site is quite beautiful and definitely serene in its own way.

    Post Office Museum and markets in the afternoon. In Bhutan, you can print your face on stamps and the stamps are actually functional so you can put them on postcards to send home. There’s also a great collection for those who collect stamps. We then checked out the weekend market which is mostly fruit, veggies and yak cheese (though it wasn’t a weekend) before walking along the river.

    A little free time and then it was off to Tashichho Dzong which is where the king and the religious head work. The complex is beautiful and reminds me of places I’ve visited in Tibet. We arrived in time to watch the flag come down, signalling the end of the workday.
    Read more