Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Travelling on the First Day

    February 7, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ☁️ -2 °C

    Mixed weather while we're travelling. Sunny one minute then high winds and snow. The first part of the journey was over high ground and snow covered roads.then we we're travelling along the coast towards Hofn.

    The main views for most of today were the fjords and the mountains which cradle them. This meant the road wound its way along the sides of the inlets and around the headlands. The day had started in harsh conditions as you can see, with ice and snow covered roads winding up and over the mountain passes. Much more than the simple wintry conditions of the UK but not much bother for Icelandic 4x4 vehicle with studded tyres.

    As we descended the roads stayed ice covered but the clouds cleared to give us magnificent views of stunning landscapes bathed in the arctic light of golden sunlight. It was incredible and totally unexpected as the forecast was not so optimistic. As before, though, you're not allowed to stop on Icelandic roads and lay-bys are rare and we must have missed so many compositions simply because there was nowhere safe to stop. There were snowfields crossed with frozen streams glowing in shades of soft blue and silver. Incredible.
    Read more