Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Time on the Beach

    February 13, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    When we got outside we discovered rather more snow had fallen that we'd thought when we looked from the window and it now seemed as if maybe we'd need to dig the car out. But no, the Duster did it yet again ... that car really does work!

    Driving down to the beach we were amazed at how much snow there was and also at the number of ploughs clearing it. Then, even though the drive to the beach was only 5 minutes or so, in that time the winds had got up and the snow was falling. We sat in the car park for a while deciding if we could face the Arctic conditions. In the end we did.

    It was a short walk to the beach in blizzard conditions, a howling wind and temperatures which felt like minus 10 but we don't really know. The wind chill probably meant it was. Okay let's play safe here and say it was minus 50 ... there, that should do it.

    We struggled to get a decent photograph in the wind but we had a go. It doesn't look too bad from the photos here does it ... how do phone cameras do so well? You can see how big the waves were and we had to wait for a lull in the wind to take a shot. Once again we stayed warm in the clothes we were wearing though it's the fingers that suffer. It's hard to control the camera in thick mittens.
    Read more