Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Skogafoss Waterfall on Ice

    February 13, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌙 -1 °C

    Having finished with the stacks for the time being we decided, now the roads were reported as improved, to revisit Skogafoss as we guessed it would most likely be frozen and, after all, Tony did want to come at this time of year to photograph frozen waterfalls. So, having purchased as eaten two Mars Bars for strength and be able to work, rest and play*, we set off westwards to Skogafoss.

    This was an interesting drive. The road initially climbs fairly steeply out of Vik before winding between hills and mountains. From the start the roads were covered in snow and ice and in places only the roadside marker posts defined where the road was. Gusting wind also blew thick clouds of snow across the road so at times visibility was very poor. In other words, the driving conditions could only be described as 'tricky', as quoted by the Department of Understatement. We made it though though.

    When we arrived at Skogafoss conditions were much better and there it was, all frozen and surrounded by tourists, coaches, cars and photographers. It did look very pretty with so many icicles around it and after a while the buses left and there weren't so many people there. We spent a while there with our tripods but we're not sure we got very much for our efforts. We waited ages in the hope the sun would break through but it never did. Rob did brave it, especially for you, and went right up to the falling water to take some photos which you can see in this footprint. At times it was dry but then suddenly he got sprayed from the falls. This spray then froze to ice as you can see on his camera.
    Read more