Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Change of Plan

    October 31, 2021 in England ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    The aim for today was to travel to Roseberry Topping, a 320m hill some way from Goathland but a location both I and Elizabeth wanted to visit and for walking. However, when I opened the curtains the view outside was dismal with the rain tumbling down, blown by a gusty wind and in no way was this walking weather.

    The morning therefore ended up as relaxation and chat and watching the water spray leaving the body of my van caused by the high winds. We both commented how, if the temperatures were lower and the rain was actually snow, we would be witnessing true blizzard conditions. But just like the previous days, at lunchtime blue sky arrived, the wind eased and the sunshine arrived.

    After a lunch snack we set off for a short four mile stroll in the local area, walking through the village then across the railway lines at the station (the one used in the Harry Potter films) then up the hill and out into the countryside.

    The ground was very wet and the streams in full flood. The main photo in this footprint is supposed to be of the stepping stones across a river but as you can see, they were now more like a waterfall so we had to turn back. The photos here hopefully give you the idea of what we did and saw.

    It was a pleasant walk and it at least got the muscles working and the blood flowing. The afternoon light was lovely and emphasised the autumn colours, then in the evening it was a meal out in a local hotel bar. A nice end to the day.

    It was definitely a different day than expected and probably the sort you should have on a holiday - no set agenda, relaxation, a bit of fresh air and a nice meal so definitely a holiday day. Tomorrow it's a journey back in time to refresh the memory of days gone by.
    Read more