Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Leaving for Greenland

    June 21, 2023 in Iceland ⋅ 🌬 7 °C

    Having returned my car to the rental office at the airport, it was a short walk to the Departures entrance. On passing the only hotel at KEF, one of the two group leaders was just walking from the front door: Nigel Danson, who has a landscape photography channel on YouTube. We therefore arrived at the meeting point where Jeroen, the other group leader, was waiting with one other person. By 5am everyone had arrived and the bags were checked in. It was a smooth run through security so we were all getting coffee in the departure lounge by 5.30 ... really early, given our flight wasn't until 8am.

    This gave us time to chat and get to know a bit about each other, though three of the group had met before on another workshop in Iceland. It was quite a range of people and though at first glance I thought I was probably the oldest, that turned out not to be true.

    Then it was time to board our 'huge' plane. You can see from the photos it was propeller driven, with only 8 rows of 4 seats plus a row of 5 against the rear bulkhead, which is where I was sitting though one of the five remained unused.

    The flight was to be a little over three hours - quite a long flight for such a small plane I thought, as the wheels left the tarmac.
    Read more