Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Illulisatt

    June 24, 2023 in Greenland ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    You've already seen the view across the town from my hotel room, but this the view along the street looking towards one of the supermarkets in town - there's a Spar too, just like everywhere else.

    I was heading to the nearest supermarket to get some snacks for today, it's the dark blue building in the main photo, just past the electronics store where you can buy TVs, cameras and drones etc. The supermarket was pretty large and was stocked with everything you'd expect, including Gold Blend coffee. The quality of the fresh food and vegetables was high and easily as good, if not better, than at home.

    The last photo is of the hotel as I was walking back. Compared to the majority of buildings in Illulisatt it really stands out doesn't it. The airport is about to be modernised so it can cope with jets, not just small aircraft, and I suspect our hotel is a sign of what is to come. New hotels are already being built so change is happening and this will alter the lives of the people here, which is great, but I wonder what will be lost as a result. There are already quite a few tourists here, us included of course, and quite a number of boat tours to explore the icebergs. At the moment it doesn't feel commercialised, far from it in fact, but what will it be like in five years?

    Anyway, I purchased a few snacks to eat then returned to the hotel for breakfast. There was a long boat trip ahead of us that would fill the day.
    Read more