Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6–7

    Day 6 - Ponte de Lima to Rubiães

    April 14 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Today I walked solo (but not really). Sarah has some bad blisters on her toes, so she took a rest day and caught a cab to our destination this morning. I started out on my own, but soon met up with fellow pilgrims that we’ve become friends with the last few days.

    That’s what I love so much about the Camino - the bonds you form with those walking the same path. Canadians, Australians, Americans, people from Ireland, Germany, the Netherlands… we all share rest breaks and meals together. Staying at the municipal albergues, we sleep and rise together too. The beds are fine and so far all the bath facilities have been good. Last night only cost €5! Nothing fancy here, just beauty and serenity. I joked today that we spend more on bandages and ibuprofen!

    Tonight, Sarah and I opted for a private room at a casa. There are others staying here too, and the municipal is just across the street. Tonight the local restaurant was full of pilgrims,and we all greeted each other warmly with smiles and hellos.

    Tomorrow, we leave Portugal and enter Spain (Tui). Hard to believe! It will become more crowded from Tui where many will begin walking the last required 100 kilometers for their compostela.
    Read more