Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    New York City

    September 16, 2014 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We had planned to spend the day at the Metropolitan Museum and Central Park but it started to pour after breakfast and continued to rain until noon (which is precisely the time they predicted it would stop!) so we had to rethink our plans. We decided to go to Macy's to get out of the rain and had to buy an umbrella along the way! Spent a couple of hours looking around stores in the area. After a yummy lunch of soup at Dean and Deluca we bought a seven day Metro Card and caught the subway to Uptown and the Metropolitan. After catching the wrong train we managed to get off and get on the correct one and spent a few hours at the Met. I was REALLY disappointed to find that the Costume Gallery was closed AGAIN. It was closed last time we went to the museum too and all the other special exhibits I was interested in hadn't started yet. A very frustrating afternoon was spent at the Met but there was still so much to see that one shouldn't complain. It seemed there had been some big changes to the building there but it could also be our imagination! It is a truly awesome museum and one of the best we've ever visited. We returned to the hotel for the Social - free food and drinks every Tues, Wed & Thursday night. Met an English couple who gave us some tips about places to go and things to see so hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. Went for a walk to Times Square after eating at the social. This city is like one on steroids - we've seen some fascinating sights and interesting people we're unlikely to experience anywhere else!! Somehow life seems cheap as you walk along and heaven knows how people drive in this city. We can't get over the traffic and how they weave in and out - goodness knows how much car insurance costs here! Haven't seen one accident yet though!
    The third photo is INSIDE the Metropolitan and is the entryway into
    the American Wing. It was absolutely stunning, with beuatiful lamp-posts but I couldnt fit them in.
    Read more