Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Hasta Luego Ciudad de Mexico

    January 4, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Eleven days in Mexico City.
    207,742 steps, an average of 18,885/day
    179.11 kilometres walked, an average of 16.28/day

    We believe the best way to see and discover a city is by foot, exploring the neighborhoods, always taking new routes to and from our destinations and often getting sidetracked by unexpected points of interest.

    Mexico City has so much to offer and is a wealth of history, art and food. I have to admit I was a little concerned about safety, having heard negative comments and news reports, but the fact is we felt safer here than in many US cities we’ve visited. There are police literally everywhere you look and, consequently, the "bad dudes" appear to have moved on to less patrolled pastures.

    If we weren't walking we were on the subway which, although showing its age, is efficient, easy to navigate and cheap as dirt to ride at only five pesos ($0.35 CDN).

    We visited all the main tourist spots, had meals at almost all the vegan restaurants we had wanted to try and experienced life with the locals at a Lucha Libre event.

    There is much to love about this city, which is working on solutions to its severe air pollution problem, the only negative aspect of our trip that comes to mind.

    We ended our stay here this morning with two 16 oz fresh fruit smoothies at the Mercado Medellin for 25 pesos each ($1.75 CDN) and a slice of avocado toast with spinach and cherry tomatoes for 35 pesos($2.45 CDN).

    Our 1:45 PM flight back to Mazatlan left pretty much on schedule and landed about ten minutes ahead of schedule. Sadly, it seems the complimentary gin and tonic we were served on our outgoing flight must have been a Christmas special because all we got today was a bag of chips and a glass of water. Still better than Air Canada, though.

    In a nutshell, we loved every minute of our time here and look forward to a return visit and a longer stay sometime soon.
    Read more