Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Day 18/7 Grijo to Porto

    May 21, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We took a very fast Uber ride from our Porto accommodations back to where we left the Caminho in Grijo yesterday afternoon, Mostreiro do Sao Salvador de Grijo.

    Our 16.25km walk was completed under overcast skies on a warm and very humid day. It felt like a storm was brewing all day long. Fortunately, no rain fell until we were back in Porto having lunch, as always, the Caminho took care of us.

    Today we walked along a very lengthy and steep stretch of Roman road, saw a rather erotically suggestive cactus and, before ending the pilgrim trail for the day at the Porto Cathedral, stopped for Port wine tasting at Calem Cellars on the south bank of the river.

    The tasting consisted of two wines from Douro, a red and a white, a white port, a late bottled vintage and a 10 year old tawny.

    We then crossed the bridge to the north bank and climbed many stairs to the Cathedral where we got our pilgrim passport stamped.

    Brenda and I went for lunch at a Brazilian restaurant and had tapioca crepes stuffed with pesto, cheese and tomato and an acai bowl for dessert.

    By coincidence, Anita's sister, Irene, and her husband, John, were also in Porto and we joined them for a pre-dinner drink before meeting Wil for supper at a very authentic Mexican restaurant. Who knew: good Mexican grub in Portugal?

    The Core Four wrapped up what felt like a day off with one last glass of port on a patio with Wil, who will continue his journey tomorrow on the Central route, while we switch to the Coastal route. We vowed to reunite once our paths reconvene further down the road.

    Another marvelous day on the Caminho.
    Read more