Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 99

    Adios Santiago

    January 23, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    That's a wrap. Our 100 days in the Southern Hemisphere come to an end today as we pack up and prepare to return to Vancouver.

    The entire trip has been fantastic, despite the little bump in the road when we first arrived in Santiago back in October. But, without that little bump, we probably would not have left Chile to return to Argentina where we loved every minute we spent there. It's almost like the universe conspired to show us the worst side of "The New Santiago" in order to guide us back to the delights we found in Argentina.

    It's a little funny because this last week in Santiago has flown by and we've had nothing but good experiences here, this time around. Providencia, where we stayed, is chock full of excellent restaurants, many of which are vegan, or at least vegetarian. There is a fabulous weekly farmer's market where we bought beautiful fresh produce at prices we hadn't seen before. The weather was temperate with no precipitation and the few locals we interacted with were welcoming and hospitable. On the downside, the cost of dining out rivals Vancouver and the wine is twice the price of what we were paying in Argentina. I suppose that's a good thing as we'll be a little less flabbergasted by the cost of things at home.

    And so, as is usually the case after our winter getaways, we're both a little sad to be going home to life in Canada: the remaining couple of months of winter, the medical and dental appointments we have scheduled, the lack of fresh local fruits and vegetables. However, we're both looking forward to working on some musical projects, seeing our friends and family and planning our next adventures.

    Life sure is grand.
    Read more