Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Back in B.A.

    December 8, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Our seven-day stay in Buenos Aires last year was merely a quick dip of our toes into the vast ocean of experiences the city has to offer. Even before we left there last January, we had decided we would return this winter to dive right in to the city.

    Of course, little did we know that, in the interim, a new, far right-wing government would be elected; one promising to dismantle the central bank and dollarize the peso. It could make for interesting times. Viva la revolución!

    We left home at 10:00 AM on Thursday morning to arrive at YVR a couple of hours before flight time and we didn’t touch down in Buenos Aires until 3:00 PM on Friday. By the time we cleared customs and rode an Uber into the city, we arrived at our AirBnb at 4:30 PM. Even after accounting for the five-hour time difference, that’s still twenty-six hours of traveling.
    Air Canada did a good job on these flights.

    The trip went smoothly with decent food and drink, free Wi-Fi on the Canadian leg of the trip, free texting all the way to B.A. and, after flying us 11,250 kilometers, we arrived in Buenos Aires right on schedule.

    Our first day here was spent unpacking, getting our bearings, stocking our fridge and pantry and getting some much-needed rest. Oh, and rest I did, waking up Saturday morning at 11:10 AM!!!

    While we’re here, Brenda will be taking weekly cello lessons with an English-speaking instructor. Her new travel cello made it onto all our flights with no issues along with my Traveler guitar. Brenda’s focus will be on the Bach Cello Suite No.1 while my self-taught musical training will be on mastering playing slide guitar (The Allman Guitar Sweet). Thank heaven for YouTube.

    We’re staying in a nice little one-bedroom condo in the Palermo-Soho section of B.A. It’s a great area filled with restaurants, mom and pop fruit stands, supermarkets and beautiful green spaces. We’re close to a subway station for trips farther afield and near enough to downtown to walk there.
    The weather over the last couple of days is cooler than we expected, about 22°C, but we’re certain it’ll warm up as summer progresses. No complaints though.

    Experience tells us that we’ll be on a flight back to Vancouver seemingly within the blink of an eye, so we plan to make the most of our time here.

    Good food, good wine, good company and good weather, who could ask for more?
    Read more