Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Boom Boom! Out Go The Lights

    December 18, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ 🌧 21 °C

    Saturday was a steamy, hot day in Buenos Aires. Temperatures were in the low thirties and humidity in the high eighties. Storm alerts started popping up on my my phone in the late afternoon. Weather like this is usually seen in mid-January, not December.

    The condo we're in doesn't face the street, but looks onto a "courtyard" and a concrete wall. Essentially, we can see a small patch of sky, can tell if it's day or night, and whether it's raining or sunny. There is no breeze.

    Saturday night and early Sunday morning, we knew it was thundering and raining heavily, but we had no idea of the violent winds that were buffeting the city outside our walls. It was only when we turned on the news Sunday morning that we learned of the damage caused.

    Trees were down all over the city, more than half a million people were without electricity, hundreds of cars were damaged, and at least thirteen people were killed.

    When the rain stopped yesterday afternoon, Brenda and I went out for a walk and saw several branches downed and work crews out cleaning up. This morning, Brenda went for her morning walk in the park and REALLY got to see how bad things are. She had to add a little distance to her walk as she weaved her way through what she described as an obstacle course.

    Still don't believe in climate change?
    Read more