Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    I Say Tomato and You Say Tomaté

    December 14, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    On my way to the gym today, one of the local restaurants was receiving case after case of heirloom tomatoes and had set up tables at a couple of different points along the sidewalks. They were also decorating the walls of the restaurant with the different coloured fruit and handing out complimentary bags of tomatoes to passers-by. There was a harp player, a singer and some dancers performing at the restaurant entrance and waiters were passing through the gathered crowd with trays of tomato chunks perfectly seasoned with a sprinkle of olive oil, balsamic and salt. Mmm-mmm good.

    It turns out the restaurant, and its sister restaurant a couple of blocks away, were having "una fiesta de tomates". We couldn't quite figure out what prompted the unadvertised event, but we sure were glad to have stumbled upon it.

    Brenda and I each got a bag of tomatoes to go. Both bags were genererously filled with a variety of perfectly ripe, delicious fruit (Brenda's more generously filled than mine due to her using her charm and beauty on the chef).

    We went back to our apartment and had our own little impromptu tomato feast and still have more leftover for another meal.

    Thank you Don Julio restaurant!
    Read more