Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    El Gordo Vegano

    January 24 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Both of us have been dragging our butts for the last ten days or so because of one of those nasty summer colds.

    Feeling a little more human today, we ventured to Belgrano, a new part of town for us, to try out another highly rated vegan restaurant, El Gordo Vegano (The Fat Vegan). Not a Michelin Guide restaurant, but a cozy little place that serves us really good vegan versions of comfort food.

    Brenda had their spinach and mushroom omelet, and I had an enormous "Churrasquito" sandwich, a grilled slab of grilled seitan smothered in chimichurri, grilled peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, ranch dressing and crispy potato matchsticks. As if that wasn't enough, it came with a side of slaw and a heap of roast potatoes.

    At the end of the meal, our server tried to convince us to try one of their small croissants for dessert, but we cried uncle. We did, however, opt to bring two "little" croissants home to have with dinner. When the waiter handed me the bag they were in, I almost dropped it because they were so unexpectedly heavy. Each croissant filled a bread plate, was filled with pastry cream, and was topped with vanilla icing and diced almonds. There was no dinner tonight, only the croissant and a cup of tea.

    The Fat Vegan indeed!
    Read more