Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    It's The End Of The World!!!

    February 7 in Argentina ⋅ 🌬 8 °C

    After four days at sea, we awoke this morning to our first glimpse of the rugged and craggy but very beautiful Marshall mountains of Patagonia. Now I understand the clothing line's logo

    The ship docked in Ushuaia, the southernmost city on the planet, whose motto is "the end of the world, the beginning of everything." Located right at the bottom of the continent, the city is renowned for the high winds that frequently buffet the city, today being no exception. Surprisingly, despite being so close to Antarctica, the lowest temperature on record is -21 °C! I've experienced much colder days in Montreal and Ottawa.

    Also surprisingly, this extremely remote city is home to over 82,000 people.

    After exploring the town a little, we went for a ride on the End of the World Train, a short sightseeing tour through the Tierra del Fuego National Park just outside the city. The railway was originally built to transport prisoners from Ushuaia to the Patagonian prison twenty-five kilometers away. When the prison was closed in 1947, the railway ceased operations and fell into disrepair before being resurrected as a tourist attraction in the 1990s.

    In the end, the ride was a little underwhelming, although the scenery was quite beautiful.

    Sadly, the only penguins we found today were in shop windows.
    Read more