Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 66

    Elephant Island

    10 lutego, Antarktyda ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    Over one hundred years ago, Ernest Shackleton set out on a trans-Antarctic expedition with a crew of twenty-seven aboard the Endurance. After six weeks at sea, on January 19, 1915, Endurance became frozen solid in an ice floe, where it remained until spring arrived in September. Unfortunately, as it thawed and shifted, the ice put extreme pressure on the hull of Endurance, resulting in her sinking on November 21. Shackleton and his crew floated on ice floes and lifeboats until April 14, 1916, when they set foot on Elephant Island 557 kilometers from where Endurance sank, and 497 days from the last time they had been on dry land.

    Because Elephant Island was so far from any shipping lanes with virtually no chance of rescue, ten days later, Shackleton and five crew set off for South Georgia in search of help. He eventually succeeded, but the remaining twenty-two members of his crew spent four and a half months stranded on Elephant Island before Shackleton was able to return to rescue them.

    Today, from the warmth and comfort of our ship, we got a glimpse of the harsh and desolate land where those twenty-two poor souls endured more suffering and hardship than I can even imagine. Their story is an inspirational testament to the strength of the human spirit and our inate survival instinct.

    The land was beautiful and awesome to look at, but I wouldn't care to spend even one day stranded there, not even on a beautiful summer day like today.
    Czytaj więcej