Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Corfu

    March 28 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Our second to last stop on this cruise brought us to a country that neither of us had visited before, Greece.

    We docked at the medieval city of Corfu at 10:00 this morning, and we went ashore kinda without a plan. There were no walking tours available today, so we decided we'd check out the forts and the old town and have some spanakopita.

    We started out by trying to get into what they call "the new fort," which was built in the late 1500s. Unfortunately, it was closed today, and we could only walk around the outside.

    After wandering around the old town in a quest to find the best-looking spanakopita, we set out to explore "the old fortress." This impressive structure's first fortifications date back to the 6th century, but the main hilltop fortress is about 600 years younger with origins in the 1100s.

    Walking to the top of the citadel offered us a breathtaking view of the city, the new fortress, and the stunningly beautiful turquoise-coloured water surrounding the island.

    With our appetites piqued by the hike up the hill, we retreated to the old town, found two very delicious spanakopitas, and fought off some pigeons as we enjoyed every last crumb.

    It's safe to say this is not going to be our last visit to Greece.
    Read more