Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Mataranka

    April 30, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Facebook threw up a great memory-Graham by the water's edge in Venice 5 years ago today. Mum n Bridie, you guys will remember the hours we spent drinking vino by the bridge...fast forward 5 years and Graham is even closer to the water's edge - see photos!

    We've been looking forward to this stop and weren't disappointed. We stayed at the Mataranka Homestead park, less than 200m walk from the spring. The park itself has a huge open bar/restaurant and stage area for bands etc. Sadly the beer was expensive and not so cold so we didn't hang around it in the evening.

    The spring itself was really lovely- some don't like the fact that it's cemented but when you think of the thousands that visit every year, it makes sense. We followed a path to the source of the spring and the bubbling colours were spectacular! We are a couple of weeks ahead of the tourist season so it wasn't too crowded at all. Freshwater crocs are definitely around, they've stopped trapping them further up the river. They aren't much to worry about unless you annoy them Im told. 😬.

    The highlight of this stop was definitely getting out there in the early morning. The air is crisp and the steam coming up from the warm spring is magical in the sunlight. Love it ❤️

    We decided only to stay one night in the end, figured we would head to Mt Bundy Station and spend the extra days there before we are due in Darwin on the 4th. :)
    Read more