Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Kununurra Part One

    May 23, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 35 °C

    Crossing the border into WA requires careful preparation - no fruit, veg, peanuts or honey are allowed, so we made sure those items were tossed out or eaten before arriving. Contrary to what we were led to believe, the guys at "Checkpoint Charlie" were fast and friendly and we passed inspection with no problems, luckier than some. We headed to Kununurra and arrived for a 9 night stay at the Showgrounds. We caught up with Richard and Andrea there - a lovely couple we'd had fun meeting at Zebra Rock. No doubt we'll see them on down the road again some time.

    The Ord Valley Muster is on at the moment so we decided to hang around and enjoy some of the events. Highlights of the first 4 days included: attending our first Rugby League match - Townies VS Country - good clean local fun; digging up a serious sweat at the Argyle Diamond Dig event; watching some fabulous Aussie short films at the Flickerfest roadshow AND laughing ourselves silly as a lineup of comedians tried desperately to remember their material whilst being attacked by millions of moths onstage. (Beautifully choreographed and funnier than some of their jokes. 😂) The pre-show entertainment was amazing - two local guys playing great music 🎶 that we could have listened to all night.

    We also managed a trip to Stonecraft to look at their Zebra rock carvings. We couldn't resist picking up a few pieces including an awesome - and very heavy - candle holder and a fabulous hand painted tray depicting the Bungle Bungles. Artist Jo was happy to pose with her work!
    Read more