Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    To Hell and back!!

    February 27, 2013 in Cayman Islands ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Well we hit the town, that is after a 40 minute wait for a tender.
    When we finally got to George town it was like first day of the January sales, there where thousands of people milling around.
    We decided to leave the waterfront and take to the side streets, where John spotted a sign for the local bus that could take us to Hell for $2.50 each.
    So on we got and sure enough after about 15 minutes we arrived at Hell.
    The charge was only $2.50 each as I said, with no messing around or the driver asking for tips as is usually the case.
    The driver told is that when we were ready to come back all we had to do was stand at the front of the post office and a bus would be no more than 10 minutes.
    For those who've not been to Hell before it's quite an interesting little place with it's volcanic rocks and quaint little post office.
    For the princely sum of 95 cents you can buy a postcard and a stamp and send it to your family or friends with the postmark 'sent from Hell'.
    We had a good look around and too lots of pictures, then waited by the road and sure enough within 10 minutes a bus came and took us back to the port.
    Once again no hassle or tips wanted.
    We even had a chat with a lovely Jamaican guy who works on the island.
    I wish our pubic transport at home was as reliable and friendly.
    Back in George Town we joined the rather large queue for our tender back to the ship.
    There must have been 500 people queuing for the Oriana tender and only 5 queuing for the Aida Aura tender, obliviously the Germans can organise things far better than us Brits...
    Their tenders went back and forth like clockwork, ours either failed to launch, which happened with one of them, broke down which happened with another or ran aground on the beach which happened with the third one.
    All in all it failed to instil confidence.
    The tenders aside we all had a great day ashore, even of we didn't manage to continue our cultural tour of Caribbean bars as we couldn't find one empty enough to get served in the limited time we had left.....
    Read more