Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - Launceston to Hobart

    February 16, 2023 in Australia

    For something a bit different, we chose to return to Hobart via the East Coast, somewhere I hadn't been before. My dad always said it was his favourite part of Tassie, so had to see what he was on about.

    The day started fairly slowly. After we checked out, we walked to City Park, mainly to see the Japanese Macaques that live there. Before we got to see them, we had to stop at the large conservatory, jam-packed with plants 🪴, followed by way too long admiring the well maintained garden beds. The monkeys are fun to watch but, as time was ticking, we needed to move on.

    After a quick look at the local shops and some takeaway breakfast, it was off to Hobart, the long way. We diverted to Ben Lomond National Park, which was well worth it.

    Heading east from there brought a surprise as we ended up on a gravel road for around 50km. Whilst it was a beautiful drive through the forest, it did slow us down a bit.

    We arrived at the east coast before heading south towards Bicheno. Dad used to tell me how much he liked it there and I can see why. It's a cosy little spot and seems to be a great place to relax.

    There were no more stops between there and Hobart and it'sa really nice drive with plenty to look at. Unfortunately, we arrived just on peak time and got stuck in a bit of traffic making our way to the hotel.

    Overall, a nice drive, albeit a bit longer than expected. It was nice to get into the hotel room and relax, topped off with some KFC for dinner.

    (For some reason, the tracker wasn't working on the app. Fortunately, Jen's was working, so I've included a screenshot for reference)
    Read more