Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Iguazu Falls, Here We Come

    February 25, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    After two lovely days in Valparaiso, we departed and headed back to Santiago. Our time in Chile was at an end, and Argentina beckoned.

    Our flight was on Aerolineas Argentinas, which apparently has a horrible record for on time departures. We got to the airport early, and went to Gate 18. After sitting for a bit, there was an announcement that our flight was delayed by 40 minutes. Darn. Arie was concerned, as we had to connect in Córdoba to Iguazu, and our layover was only an hour and 50 minutes. I assured him that we had plenty of time and would be fine. The next announcement was that our gate was changed. So, we headed to gate 7, which was literally at the opposite end of the airport. The boarding time for our plane passed. And, it was announced that we’d be leaving out of gate 19. Back across the airport we schlepped. Another delay and the by time we boarded, catching our next flight seemed pretty hopeless. When we landed in Córdoba, we had 25 minutes to get through immigration, customs, and onto our next flight. As I was explaining our problem to the flight attendants, someone from airport security boarded the plan and asked for everyone going to Iguazu and another city whose flight was about to depart. There were 7 of us. He whisked us off the plan, and through immigration. Then he got us through customs, and handed us off to his colleague. She went some back way and put us on a bus — just three of us by now — and then took us directly to our plane. We actually got on with 5 minutes to spare. (No one ever checked our tickets, I might add. I was super impressed, and can’t imagine service like that in the US. Given that we were on the last flight of the night, and the airline only flies to Iguazu once a day, we were incredibly grateful.

    We arrived in Iguazu just as the sun was setting. We could see the falls out the window . . . Or at least what we think are the falls. We got in a cab and headed for our hotel, Loi Suites. As we drove on a series of dirt roads, I began to feel quite trepidatious. Perhaps I had chosen badly. But, the hotel seems lovely, nestled in the forest. I was quite charmed as we were led on a suspension bridge from the main lobby to the wing in which our hotel room was located. The food in the restaurant, not so much.

    Tomorrow we explore the falls.
    Read more