Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    NATIONAL MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS

    January 14, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    It has been raining all day, so we decided to go to the National Museum of Fine Arts in Buenos Aires. It is located in the Avenida del Libertador 1473, close to the Recoleta Cemetery and the Floralis Generalis.

    We bought our tickets for the Iguazú Falls today at the Retiro bus station, which is just around the corner and decided to walk to the museum. Almost impossible, since the sewage system in Buenos Aires is completely overwhelmed and the streets were partly completely underwater.
    We arrived all soaking wet at the museum, but at least we didn't have to pay entry, because admission is free on Tuesday.

    The museum itself is very modern, clean and bright. With a few exceptions, the rooms are generously divided.

    It is considered as one of the most important public institutions of art in Argentina and includes more than 12.000 pieces of art. Of course, we couldn't see everything, not even the Norah Borges exhibition. But at least we managed to go through all the rooms on the two floors.

    The artwork that I liked most is "Diane surprise" by Jules Joseph Lefebvre. The presentation of light and shadow, the bright bodies before the dark underground on a canvas of almost 3 x 4 meters – just impressive!
    As I mentioned before, we are going to the Iguazú Falls on Thursday and we already saw a beautiful first impression here in the museum!

    It is definitely worth visiting the museum, not just when it rains. And I hope to come back again soon. 😍
    Read more