Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32–33

    The Grand Detour of Leven Canyon

    February 4 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    The Leven River's dulcet murmurs had lulled us into a comfortable rhythm, its promise of cascading splendor at nearby Preston Falls echoed in our ears. But fate, a mischievous imp disguised as a roadside sign, slyly winked at us, whispering of hidden gems - Leven Canyon, a mere 20 kilometers away. Curiosity, our ever-present travel companion, urged us to veer off course, sending our trusty steed (the bus) humming down a verdant new path.

    And what a serendipitous detour it proved to be! Nestled amidst an emerald embrace, Leven Canyon unveiled its dramatic grandeur. Unlike the river's tranquil meander through Bannons Park, here it roared through the canyon, a powerful testament to nature's artistry.

    From the vertigo-inducing heights of Cruickshanks lookout to the secrets whispered by the canyon floor, each vista unfolded like a breathtaking masterpiece.

    The irresistible call of camping unfurled our mobile haven, granting us the freedom to roam and rest wherever our hearts desired. As we set up camp, a spiky ambassador emerged - a Tasmanian short-beaked echidna, its shyness momentarily forgotten. Laughter and heartwarming footage filled the air, a memory forever woven into the tapestry of our nomadic journey.

    The following morning, the walk along the Canyon floor was a rugged dance with nature, testing our limits and rewarding us with the raw beauty whispered by ancient rock and gurgling river. With each conquered challenge, our connection to Tasmania's wild heart deepened, resonating within our very souls.

    Leven Canyon, a chance encounter that blossomed into an unforgettable chapter, forever etched in the narrative of our wandering souls. But the map, our ever-present guide, beckoned with new stories to tell. With hearts brimming and cameras overflowing, we pressed on, the next adventure already shimmering on the horizon and although fate nudged us down a different path, the allure of Preston Falls remained. Undeterred, we continued our journey, eventually making a stop to explore its cascading beauty from top to bottom.
    Read more