Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 33–37

    Lake Kara Chronicles: Nomads & Nature

    5 février, Australie ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Leaving Preston Falls, we veered off the familiar path, forging ahead into uncharted wilderness. Our planned campsite at Leven Canyon was a memory whispered on the wind, replaced by the promise of adventure.

    Just before Lake Kara emerged from the trees, a shadowy grove named Upper Natone Forest Reserve lured us in. Its secrets unfolded with each rustling leaf and gnarled branch, a spooky symphony that set the stage for an even more unexpected encounter. As we emerged from the eerie embrace, a figure materialised – Mick, a fellow nomad we'd met at Bannons Park. He, too, called the open road his home, and like a seasoned guide, shared local gems with a knowing grin. We were tempted, but our hearts yearned for the unknown, leading us onward to Lake Kara.

    Man-made, yet teeming with life, the lake welcomed us with open arms. Three campers, painted with the stories of seasoned Grey Nomads, circled the shore, but soon, they set sail on their own journeys, leaving us monarchs of this tranquil domain.

    On the third day, the water stirred. Anth's cry echoed through the stillness, summoning Sal to witness a magical dance – a platypus, gliding amongst the reeds, its elusive form a treasure more precious than gold. It was Sal's first wild encounter with this mythical creature, a perfect counterpoint to the echidna they'd marvelled at in Leven Canyon.

    The kindness of Tasmanians bloomed again when Ros and Mike, from the nearby town of Wynyard, offered their driveway as a respite whenever we wished. But mostly, the lake belonged to us – a haven of solitude punctuated by the arrival of Natalie, a solo traveler weaving her own tapestry on the open road. Around the crackling fire, our stories intertwined, fuelled by the crisp air and the warmth of shared dreams.

    Mornings painted the lake in golden hues, but the air held a bite, a reminder of the changing seasons. The fire became a nightly ritual, a comforting ember against the growing chill, a reminder of the warmth we'd found not just in the flames, but in the journey itself, a month away from home yet closer than ever to ourselves.
    En savoir plus