Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    W trek day 3- The French Valley

    March 18, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    After setting camp in Paine Grande in a quiet secluded spot we were soon surrounded by over 20 American teenagers. Our peace was shattered. We set off earlier today around 10 am, still late for trekking, and ambled through rolling hills towards Campamento Italiano and the French Valley.

    After 2 hours we started to hear thunder despite the clear blue skies above. Every 30 minutes a crashing sound would echo around the park with no sign yet of its source. We continued on through a forested area with large granite mountains looming above, and the large aquamarine Norweigan lake starting to the left.

    When we arrived in Campamento Italiano we were assesed by the ranger for suitability, as going up the valley can take 3 hours and he decides when to close the trail for the day. We passed his assesment, and gleefully put our big packs down in a mound of backpacks and switched to day packs. Trekking with no weight is the most amazing feeling!

    Whilst James started his run (I'm not kidding, he can run uphill and down like a mountain goat) to the top viewpoint, I sneaked into a guided group up to the first viewpoint about halfway up. A good guide, he set a gentle pace up the steep valley, and the only thing I had to worry about was being stabbed by the walking poles of the rather elderly gent in front who liked to swing them backwards haphazardly instead of using them.

    Once we arrived at the viewpoint the source of the thunderous noise became clear. Avalanches of snow would fall down the steep slopes of Paine Grande mountain. I sat here for a few hours; first listening to the talk of the tour guide about how all the park was formed. Once the tour group decended I chatted away to fellow trekkers from Germany and South Korea whilst watching the avalanche show unfold.

    Once James was back from his run still in one piece, we headed down together, picked the unwelcome big pack and carrried on to Camp Frances. Here we camped on platforms in the trees using hammer and nails to keep the tent in place. It had THE hottest shower with rainfall head. James ran down to the shop an bought us a beer to share before bed. I was in camping heaven!

    Number of blisters=0
    Number of km= 14
    Number of Holas=>500
    Ibuprofens=4
    Number of beers that tasted of ambrosia=1/2
    Read more