Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Fake eruption 😜?

    December 23, 2022 in Tanzania ⋅ ☁️ 22 °C

    While driving around Mount Kitumbeine we spot the first free-roaming giraffes and zebras. This ancient volcano with its soft slopes looks very inviting for a hike up the ridge. But also his brother Gelai further north does. Or should we better hike up the holy Maasai mountain Ol Doinyo Lengai? Hmm. Too many options and the air is thick, hazy and lacking my expected wide view over the great rift valley. Instead, while reaching the foot of Lengai, a thunderstorm is approaching and eating up Kitumbeine in the distance with massive black clouds. We decide to hop off the gravel road in order to quickly find a slightly hidden wild camping spot before the rain begins. Franziska is being watched by giraffes while peeing in the thorn bush. Cicadas in the acacia tree above us start their ear-splitting hissing song when we see the first bands of rain approaching. But after just a few minutes they stop again as abruptly as they began. No rain is reaching us. Night breaks in.

    The next morning our departure is blocked by a bus trying to bypass a stuck truck with a broken front axle. We enrich the spectacle of colourfully scattered passengers with our curious presence and some stupid questions 😛.

    Our hungry stomachs stop us in Engare Sero. What a strange town! First of all we have to pay 90 USD for just using the road along Lake Natron. Then, Engare Sero consists literally just of people wanting to sell you Maasai jewellery, of people wanting to guide you around "the area" and of food points. In the lunch place of our choice we are greeted by grinning ladies with dancing, dangling boobs. Just like in the Maasai painting on my wall at home, yay 🤗! A drunken Maasai appears. Everything looks like a house of pleasure here. And our served rice with beans is indeed pleasurous 🍛!
    Read more