Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The Black Forest

    April 5, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    So where to stay in the Black Forest..there are several parts of the trip where our research was limited, and this was one of them. We realise that when I write Black Forest on the itinerary, we could’ve done with a bit more of a pointer...it’s pretty huge.

    Anyway, after the 1st unsuccessful stop in an eerily quiet little village, we chance upon an absolute gem. A wonderful campsite in Hoffen, and although it’s pricey, it has extras!!! A lovely play park, free WiFi, and free train journeys to neighbouring towns.

    We decide Bad Wildbad sounds like a cool place to visit, and after a lot of faffing (ahem!) we manage to make the train, only to arrive and realise we’ve left the pushchair behind...lucky it was free, back on we get and return with said pushchair to the little alpine town & take a trip up the mountain.

    Somersberg was well worth a visit with a great treetop walk, views of the bikers downhilling and a ginormous slide!! Amelia practised saying she was 6 the whole way up!!

    We decide to make our first 2 night stop!! Lovely to have a day with no driving, and the kids enjoyed the extra time in the park!

    Change of plan for our next route, to take the scenic route down the forest to Lake Bodensee for our next stop. Although it’s not quite ‘swim in a lake’ weather, we want to explore this mammoth lake...

    We visit a little lake/boat town, find another incredibly engineered play park, and then find a spot to free camp - and as luck would have, another day, another skate park!

    On to Lindau next...
    Read more