Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 143

    Lancieuz - aka shell bay!

    August 21, 2019 in France ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    Making our way towards the Cherbourg peninsula now, we find a little beach village with a small campsite which is perfect for our penultimate stopover. We get the last pitch and are warned that’s it small, but it’s directly next to the park - obviously the children are happy!

    We walk down to the beach - another huge bay where the sea rushes in and out on a huge tide, leaving behind all the rocks and rock pools which we have come to realise is so representative of Brittany’s coast. It’s almost as if you can see Cornwall and Brittany have been sliced down the middle here, the beach, the rocks and even the houses that line the bay all look so familiar.

    We collect an array of shells as we walk out to the rocky patches, find some more cockles...and Nic tells a Frenchman ‘J’adore le coque’!!! Time to leave!

    The campsite has a lovely take away pizza van that pulls up at night, so we enjoy a scallop pizza (cheese and ham for the children!), and then put the air con up high to try and disguise the noise of all the French children playing in the park until the late hours while we try and get Amelia to bed!

    Amelia wakes early so Nic takes her to see the beach again before we move on. We stop at Decathlon, the children have grown so much on this trip and so both need coats and shoes...however, as always this turns into a 3hour stop, including lunch on the picnic bench while the children play on the trampolines outside the store!!
    Read more