Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Viesta

    May 20, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 0 °C

    We’ve heard this part of the coast is worth a stop, but it’s another hairy drive to reach it as we head into the national park. The scenery is stunning along the coast with little beaches, and rocky outcrops. This is another very windy road with hair pin bends but luckily not as narrow as we have experienced - still a lot of concentration needed from the driver!!

    We arrive in the coastal town of Vieste, it seems half holiday town, half historic village, but were not convinced it was worth the loooong journey. The old town is picturesque with rugged coast of the town dropping straight down into the ocean; we watch some interesting fisherman pulling their huge nets on winches for their catch - seems like a really traditional practice and we wonder how far out the nets go. We carry on down narrow streets and cobbles, Amelia hones her scooter skills, and Coen chases after, but all of a sudden we see a huge storm coming. We are a fair way from the campsite, luckily we have a pushchair and scooter - we peg it back to the campsites as quickly as possible.

    Back at the site we head to the park (which leaves a little H&S to the imagination - the double swing being held up by a hosepipe around a nearby tree and a sea saw with a nice spike that would put a hole right through your foot) - needless to say the kids love it and want to spend hours there...luckily we’ve also stocked up on wine and Prosecco. Nic gets some olive oil advice from some Italian holiday makers too.

    We leave the next day for a long drive, coast to coast, east to west at its widest point, and head for Sorrento and the infamous Amalfi Coast...
    Read more