Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Monopoli, Polignano al Mare & Gargano

    May 19, 2019 in Italy ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    After realising we’ve missed a couple of beautiful spots, we head back out to the coast (that we’ve already driven past!)...

    First stop is Monopoli and Nic is thrilled (!) to find ourselves in the middle of another busy town centre with tiny streets, crazy drivers, huge potholes and no clue where to park!

    We find a spot though, and wander through the old town, find some delish local food, get a look at the old city walls and beautiful church’s hidden within...before an ominous looking cloud threatens a downpour. We finish our tour of the lovely town just in time, as we get in the Moho as the rain begins. The coast of Monopoli is surrounded by tiny little turquoise coves, some with white sand, some rocky.

    We make the quickest visit ever to the next stop, Polignano Al Mare as the rain sets in above our heads. We pop up the croozer to pack the children into and run along the coast a couple of kilometres to find the beautiful view of the coastal town with buildings perched on the cliff edge, dropping straight down to the turquoise seas.

    We head north and find a little campsite on a long stretch of sandy beach, at the end of some more very hole-y roads. We park next to the play park, Coen takes a few more tumbles and bumps (we decide we should swap the ice cream tally for a ‘Coen’s accidents’ tally - he definitely gets his mum’s clumsiness!!).

    The power once more is not quite enough to cook a full meal so we grab a pizza (any excuse!) and enjoy a sunny morning at the beach the next morning.
    Read more