Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day 8: The journey to Hawker

    April 14, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    We were recommended to get a Tiddy Oggi whilst in Burra, so before leaving we popped across the bridge to the Gasllight Cafe, an eclectic store with rooms full of all sorts. Peter welcomed us and we enjoyed the unusual treat- a pastry 1/2 Cornish pasty and 1/2 stewed apple with cream. Coupled with the most delicious hot chocolate we were set for a day of travelling.

    Quick stop to see the ruins of the Cobb and Co Coach House which featured on Midnight Oil’s Diesel and Dust album cover and travelled along listening to the album

    Johnny selected the route today to travel through Jamestown and along the RM (Reginald Murray) Williams Way, along which the Indian Pacific passed us and we passed lots of abandoned buildings, left in ruins which got us wondering how many happy memories had been celebrated there before their demise.

    Stopped at Carrieton to stretch our legs and enjoy a drink at the Hotel, and as we passed the Cradock Hotel we clocked 28000.

    Arrived at Hawker Caravan Park for our overnight stay and headed out to see the Jeff Morgan Panorama’s at his gallery in the town. We were expecting to see his paintings but we’re surprised by the extensive rock and model car collections.

    Hawker Hotel for a cool glass of cider and some catching up with family before a few days out of connectivity.
    Read more