Uydu
Haritada göster
  • Gün 65

    Great Barrier Reef - Good Grief!

    4 Mart 2023, Avustralya ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    We have spent almost a week up here in Cairns, near the Great Barrier Reef in north eastern Australia in Queensland. We intentionally spent a week in one hotel to try to provide stability for the kids. What we adults have now fully learned is that the solution (like there is just one!) is not just about staying in one place - it’s about connection. The girls miss home. They miss friends. They miss our pets. They miss their grandmas that aren’t with us anymore. We are still all grieving- but that is part of this journey for us. So it’s probably been the toughest week emotionally for everyone.

    That said, The great barrier reef was amazing - I can’t even begin to compare it to the Galapagos. It’s like night and day. Going underwater in crystal clear water, swimming amongst the myriad of vibrant fish of varying shapes and sizes; The live flowing coral and enormous clams - that breathe and flow with the current. It’s like a dream. Watching Maddie dive down deep and turn around and wave at us; watching Katie overcome her fears asking to dive down as well and then saying how fun it was when she breeches the surface. It’s a beautiful thing to watch.

    I don’t even think the kids recognize how much they have grown in the last two months. I think there is healing there too, very slowly, for all of us. But we miss our moms so much.

    Some of our highlights this past week:
    - Fitzroy island: snorkeling straight off the beach and being absolutely blown away and stunned with having our first unexpected exposure to the amazing underwater world of the Great Barrier reef.

    - Manu the cockatoo: apparently a very notoriously dumb male cockatoo had a crush on me. He liked all of us girls but then took a particular liking to me and sought me out while at a wildlife center. Not sure if this is a high point or something to be proud of but it was hilarious. (Check out long but ultimately silly video)

    - Moore Reef: learning to wear a stinger suit and snorkel in a stunning setting - amazing

    -mentioning to an Aussie about the heavy rains they have here (torrential is the first word that comes to mind) and having him say “If the rain doesn’t bounce 3 feet off the ground, then it’s not REALLY rain. Welcome to the tropics!” 🙃

    -seeing the girls giggling and playing together even after the many epic arguments this week.

    Some low points:

    -katie has learned that she is very allergic to something INSIDE (most likely molds) just about everywhere in Cairns, finally prompting an urgent care visit yesterday with her and another “Welcome to the tropics!” Comment from the very nice doctor. 🤣

    -homesickness-it is the real deal this week. Girls are feeling it full force this week. We have to learn to navigate this and I’m glad we are together and talking about it.

    ————————

    Katie’s 11th birthday is this Monday! On her bday, we’ll be hopping on a 24 hour train down to Brisbane and then will prepare to leave for Thailand! We’ve been watching some YouTube videos on how to say hi and thank you in Thai - getting ready!

    Love to you all!

    Next stop: Brisbane, Australia by train and then Bangkok, Thailand!
    Okumaya devam et