Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Goodbye Australia!

    March 8, 2023 in Australia

    We are currently in Brisbane, Australia getting prepared to hop on yet another red eye to Bangkok via Singapore.

    Our last few days have been travel and adventure filled - we took an overnight train (25 hour) with sleeper seats (hallelujah because I cannot sleep on planes, cars, or in any mode of transportation requiring sitting mostly upright) from Queensland to Brisbane! This train was a highlight for me for two reasons: 1) it was Katie’s 11th birthday! 🥳 and 2) I got 25 hours of mommy alone time - in my own little cubicle style area! I slept well and It was heavenly!

    Brisbane has been lovely - all along the river that runs through town (aptly named Brisbane River) are public lagoon style pools, shops, and mostly lush green space and gardens. We’ve enjoyed it.

    Our last stop today before our red eye to Thailand was at the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. Maddie is doing a research project on koalas right now so this was a perfect last stop. The koalas were adorable; they love eucalyptus (live in the trees and eat the leaves); and cool factoid: if you ever get a koala stuck in your pool (!), you should throw a large rope in to help them climb out! This is definitely not something you hear in the US! We also got to feed lots of kangaroos!

    Thank you Australia for your hospitality, beauty, and awesome accents.

    We’re excited to be on our way to Thailand where just by chance, some of our friends, the Mladinichs, will be in Bangkok at exactly the same time as us! So we’re going to hang out with some friends!! Yay!

    Next 2 weeks: Thailand. Bangkok, Surat Thani, and Koh Samui.

    Then Nepal!

    May you all be happy, healthy and safe! ❤️ from our family to yours!
    ——————

    “Happiness is not something readymade; it comes from your own actions.” - Dalai Lama
    Read more