Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    Bangkok - Fun, Friends, and Sweat!

    March 8, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 95 °F

    Brian and I had both been to Bangkok before so we were curious about how this leg of our journey would be for the 4 of us. We once again took a red eye flight from Australia coupled with layover for 4 hours in the middle of the night in Singapore making us all extremely tired and grouchy. Most exciting way to start a new and more challenging section of this journey when everyone is homesick already I personally think. 🙂

    Bangkok is hot - not an “oh I could use a bit of air conditioner hot” - it’s a “sweat running down your back till your pant legs are wet because we have to wear appropriate attire to the Grand Palace and temples” type of hot. Fortunately Bangkok also included friend time - new and old.

    We happened to be in town at the same time as friends we haven’t seen since before the kids were born, the Mladinichs. They were visiting some of their buddies in Thailand - so we made some new friends as well, experienced amazing Thai hospitality - all sweating it out together! Adults got to hang out at night eating the most amazing Thai food while the kids played in an amazing pool in their neighborhood. Connection is so important - and it nourished all of us - body and soul.

    The Grand Palace and temples were amazing though. The enormous Reclining Buddha always makes me shake my head in awe; the vibrant colors and ornate design of the temples leave me speechless - while sweating a lot. We were happy to see the kids experiencing all of it!

    Just for reference - in Bangkok we stayed at a hostel in the city that cost about 25 US dollars per night. Our bathroom was a small combo of shower and toilet where you had to close the lid of the toilet while you showered to keep the seat dry so you can later pee without slipping right off. School work and tutoring was done on the bed - we all adjust as we go!

    And once again with my wonderful planning, we are taking a 7 am flight to Surat Thani to go to an elephant sanctuary - which means we had to get up 345 am to catch a taxi to the airport. At some point I’ll learn!

    Next up: elephant hills sanctuary. (Shh - we’re here right now - I’m behind on posting. Yesterday we spent time and fed elephants and it was AMAZING!!!) - will do that post soon.

    ❤️

    Sent from my iPhone
    Read more