Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Temples and Water Rituals

    June 10, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Today was a day of mini highlights. Firstly breakfast, soo yummy, we had Indonesian banana pancakes, omelette and toast and a plate of fruit. It was huge!

    We then hired a scooter and headed to Gunung Kawi temple complex. It was like a scene out of Indiana Jones it was an area of rice terraces, with huge cocunut trees at various heights with the beautiful temple ruins in the middle. I just can't explain how ornate and beautiful everything is here.

    On our way to Tirtul Empul Temple we stopped off at a local market and tried Bacso Ayam and something else that we saw everyone eating but God knows what it was. All I can say is that it was yummy.

    Then we headed to the temple and had the most calming and beautiful experience. So this temple is famous for the water ritual where you say thank you for what you have in a pool at each of the water fountains. Now don't get me wrong we were in there for about an hour, it was late afternoon so it was bloody freezing, there were huge fish in the pool as well which was a bit weird especially when they got stuck in your sarong, but overall we both stepped out of the pool so calm and collected. It was an hour where you could just think, think about what you have and be thankful for what you have. When is the last time someone has said for the next hour just be thankful. Try it, it's so uplifting!

    After the ritual we dried, dressed, drove back, had dinner, watched a couple of episodes of friends and went to bed.

    Wow sooo much rain, it went on all night and is still going on this morning! Will see how it goes but maybe it will be a rain day.
    Read more