Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Dive Day 6

    December 20, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Another thunderstorm last night and a night sail to Langkoi.

    Viz improved on the 1st and 2nd dives, but we then moved as the swell was rather vicious.

    However, the 3rd dive of the day was a "cracker" ... The briefing mentioned cold water, screaming current, reef hooks and bad viz 🤤 It took a lot to convince myself to do this one, but I'm glad I did. The screaming current was clearly visible from the boat.

    Upon dropping in the water temperature had dropped to 25 from 29 and was the colour of PEA soup 😝. The current was really strong, but the best was yet to come ... After about 10 minutes, we swam between 2 outcroppings and boy then did we hit serious current. Lying flat on the bottom, hanging onto rocks for dear life and thinking to myself, "what the hell is the point of this?" when out if the green pea soup came a group of about 5 or 6 mantas. They just float through the current, while us land creatures were being bobbed around like corks in a bucket of water. Thank goodness for reef hooks and strong hands. They hung around, feeding and doing what mantas do with such ease, while floating between us for about 15 minutes.

    Needless to say, I'm happy I did get into the water, albeit with much apprehension 😏.
    Read more