Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Krakow - Friday

    August 26, 2016 in Poland ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Time to catch up on some posts!

    So after getting off the sleeper train at Krakow’s main train station, we wheeled our bags through some lovely (but cobblestoned) parks to our accommodation. We are getting to the point where we are finding the cobblestones more annoying in terms of lugging bags around than “picturesque” and “old-worldy”.

    Our apartments happened to be a short walk from a restaurant that served a buffet breakfast (which we went back to a few times) that got us ready for the day and then we headed to Wawel Castle and Cathedral. The castle has many exhibitions and areas that you have to buy individual tickets for and we were initially going to see everything before we were informed by the ticket seller that it would take seven and a half hours. We were more selective.
    There were some beautifully decorated rooms and treasures, as well as the original copy of the famous painting “Lady with an Ermine” by Leonardo da Vinci. Wawel Castle also had some very engaging audio tours which was a step up from the very dry ones we experienced in the German museums.

    We had our first of several pierogi feasts in Krakow at Pierogi Mr Vincent, which was amazingly delicious (and cheap!) and we followed it up with some cocktails at a hipsteresque bar near our apartments called Absynth Café.
    Read more